Sunday, August 10, 2008

LOVE THE CONTRASTS...

With my jar in hand, determined to capture as many Japanese beetles as I could to feed my fish...I started looking under all the Queens' petticoats to find my prey. It was an interesting view...so I snapped numerous photos of the beetles hiding out. After loading the photos, I decided that I didn't even want to give them their spotlight on the stage here in my blog...so I went back and took another photo of the view...after I knocked off the beetles in my jar and filled the bellies of my fish! I find an aspect that I really enjoy in and around the garden, are the different contrasts and textures of what I'm seeing. Take for instance... the hard porous texture of the shade dappled rock with the feathery fern-like foliage and its' shadow draped over it...they compliment each other. Then there's the contrast of the dark, delicate damselfly...her silhouette strong... showing against the platinum iridescent lily pad. Doesn't the photo take on a certain dramatic, bold effect even though the damselfly, the two lily pads, the waterlily petal and the water are all delicate in themselves? It really amazes me how nature "plays" with lighting effects...depending if it's a sunny day, a cloudy day, a misty or after the rain kind of day...the same view you just looked at could look totally different two hours later! It just gives me another reason to snap another photo! I especially enjoy the sun/shade dappled views, and how the ponds' color seems to change so much depending on the time of day and weather conditions. I just loved how this dainty Marguerite daisy is laying across the rugged log...again, there's the contrast. Then there is the pond...and all of its' reflections...just mesmerizing...sometimes the pond surface looks like a Monet type painting...Mother Natures' attempt at impressionism! The last photograph is a reflection where the sky had quickly moving storm clouds taking over...yet the sun was still shining brightly...yes, I love the contrasts.







6 comments:

Unknown said...

So beautifully written, Kim--and your photos are a real treat! I especially liked the fern and the reflection.

Mother Nature said...

Our JB became fish food also. I understand they are only a menace for about three weeks. I'm not seeing them anymore.

spookydragonfly said...

Mother Nature...It has been a solid 5 weeks now for our beetles, and so far, no end in sight it seems!! I wonder if being totally surrounded by the woods has anything to do with it? When I lived in the suburbs, the beetles weren't this much of a problem!

Greg said...

I don't seem to be having the Japanese beetle problem...which is probably disappointing for our fish!

Beautiful photos, as always, Spooky! I've been taking some of those "from under" shots lately and am always pleased with the results!! I love a fresh perspective!

garden girl said...

Those japanese beetles have been chewing holes is the leaves of about every plant in the garden and in the containers here. If they don't eat the leaves, they eat the flowers. There's been a bumper crop of them here in suburbia this year. Whatever the j.b.'s haven't eaten, the slugs have. :(

Your photos are breathtaking!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Your photos all capture the beauty of nature(-: I am glad the fish enjoyed their gourmet meal(-: I am also enjoying reading your blog!!!