Sunday, August 24, 2008

ROYAL VISIT OF A RED DRAGON...

I am one happy camper!...I was quite surprised when this red dragonfly came to visit our pond yesterday! I am taking a guess at this being a "Ruby Meadowhawk"...and please...if anyone knows better, leave me a comment of correction. I would like to start and try to identify all of the species of damselflies and dragonflies that hang out at Wishnik Woods. It's the first time that I've seen this one...we spent quite a while together bonding. It allowed me to pet its' wings several times. I love that I was able to capture a photo while I was touching him(or her?)...of course my hand looks a little funky in the shot and full of grass seed(?) from having to push through some tall plants full of seed..o.k. - my vanity aside....that was one tough shot to take. I was in a half squat position, leaning forward, arms outstretched...and my arm holding the camera was unsteady and shaking! All I have to say, is that was one circus balancing act I was in!! All the while I was hoping that I wouldn't sink in the mucky marsh water at that end of the pond. The photo of the two golden colored small dragonflies mating are two "Eastern Amberwings" They flew all around me in this position and finally ended here in my Japanese willow bush. In the last photograph is a pair of "Widow Skimmers", I believe. Once again, please correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously, I enjoy the the beauty and amazing antics of these creatures. I am in the process of setting up a blog featuring just photos of the dragonflies and damselflies. They must just take my stress away on their wings and drop my worries off somewhere else... while watching and admiring them I am totally relaxed...I've found that calm.








2 comments:

My Little Family: said...

I don't know how you do it. I made many attempt stoday to photo a dragonfly but with no luck. They were all around me and quite cooperative but all I got were dark blotches. Vickie

Unknown said...

Simply LOVE your dragonfly photos!! I haven't managed to get a good shot lately, although they're busy hovering all over in colours to die for!! That red is lovely!