Sunday, August 31, 2008

ON THIS LAST DAY OF AUGUST...

Here it is already, the last day of August, I remember my grandfather saying that" the older you get...the seasons just fly by faster and faster each year". In my case, I'd have to agree with him. As my husband and I sat on the dock last night around 7:oo p.m., it was the perfect evening. It's my favorite time of the days' end...the sun is low in the sky, casting shadows across the land and pond. The tall trees look so majestic ... the sun doing its' magic creating the contrast of half the tree and leaves, bright and sunny...while the other half is deep and dark. Our trees are all on good sized hills, so it makes for an interesting pattern as your eye scans the landscape. The water looks black at this time of evening, with sharp, crisp reflections all across the ponds' surface. There was an ever so gentle breeze and the perfect amount of warmth in the air. I told my husband that I've really been feeling the need to paint again...something I've always wanted to do and earlier this year, finally discovered that I enjoy it immensely. He said," why don't you go in and start painting now...you have a long weekend". I didn't, and the reason being is that as I sat there, all I wanted to do was soak up that perfect calm. I kept thinking to myself and finally aloud to my husband, how few evenings we have left this year that will be like this. I have to make these moments on the dock last, soak them up and save them for a dreary day that's surely ahead! It was a bittersweet feeling. Last evening could've been late spring...how it felt...and the feeling would've been quite different. I would've thoroughly enjoyed it, knowing there were many more of the same to come. For my mother, she feels sadness at this time of day in the summer months...as my father passed away around that time of day...at home...outside. Perception...and now I'm thinking too much here...that's when I get in trouble! Back to the last day of August...not much going on in the gardens, everything is winding down...ready for a much needed rest. Our summer was particularly dry and hot...I can't pull our hoses around the gardens and pond anymore due to back problems as of last year(we have a very, very, very long hose!). That job falls on my hubby now...and with him driving such a distance to and from work...time is limited for him. If he pulls the hose in certain areas close to the cabin, I can water for a short time before I feel the weight of the hose pulling my muscles down...then I have to stop. I used to love watering my gardens with the hose, I found it to be relaxing. Uh-oh...thinking again!! Well, at least the bees and butterflies are going about their business! It seems that all at at once I've noticed a surge in bees, especially the honey bee. Mmmm?? To end this post on a happy note...I found a sunflower growing not too far from our bird feeders!! Obviously a little present from the birds which I was thrilled to see growing! A few years back ...we made attempts to grow them in the sunniest spot we had at the time, with no luck. Here's my little beauty shown just shining...in an area that only receives early morning sun for about 2 hours, and very late evening sun for about an hour! What is up with that?! Did you notice the little lady on the sunflower?!









Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

joey said...

I felt the bittersweet ripple reading this heartfelt post (I feel the same, sensing summer's end). Thinking of you ;)

Lona said...

You make us all think back with your story. When I sense summer's end I get sad because I know Winter is not far behind and I am not a Winter person at all.Your photograph's of the bee's are just gorgeous!

Mother Nature said...

We never want something good to be over. I can see you know how to savor the moment.