Wednesday, June 24, 2009

MAY AND JUNE...3 (THE BIRDS!)

Sleeping safe and snug among the cattails, is one of at least three nests of baby Red-Winged Blackbirds that called Wishnik Woods home.




Sure...they're cute now...





This little one snuck out of his nest a little too soon, his Mama wasn't happy. I was maybe two and a half feet from this baby when I took these photos. He was stranded on the ponds' edge in plant growth hanging over the water. Actually, the female adult builds the nest just inches above the waters surface. This little guy couldn't even manage a peep as wide as his mouth is open. I wasn't sure if he was trying to warn me or expecting food...maybe trying to yell help! I would've got in the canoe and put him back in his nest if necessary...his Mama came through for him.






We had maybe five minutes or so, up close and personal with each other. The adult Red-Wings are extremely territorial and EXTREMELY noisy about it! I will show them on another post. They are known to attack larger creatures and humans. They gather and live in colonies, which makes it even noisier. It was peculiar that once I sat down near this baby, and talked to it the whole time...the others became completely quiet. Mama positioned herself close by, Dad and the others close by as well...but all that screeching and squawking stopped.







Cute...yes...until they grow up and eat my dragonflies. The dragons are their favorite insect...and I watched helplessly as they dived mid-air for their treats. They also searched through the plant life around the pond and ate many immature damsels and dragons.



DEMON BIRDS!!!!







Behind my largest Weigela bush, between the cabin and the pond, hangs my first Bluebird house. I never saw Bluebirds, let alone in my woods, so I was anxious to see if my 'Bluebirds of Happiness' would come. They did, but first they had to kick out the first tenants...which I'm not sure which type of bird they were.











The cozy wooden home was in perfect view from my kitchen window. These two photos were taken through my window. The female did most of the work, it seemed the male did alot of supervising!

I got a real thrill when the male and female would rest on the low branches. I'd swear they listened to me singing (yep, now I think I'm Snow White!). It was great...I had my Bluebirds...expecting babies...and one day they were gone. Just like that. Now, I did see a feather on the porch, but not from the Bluebirds. The house was probably too low...within climbing range for the cats. Honestly, though, I feel The bully Red-Winged Blackbirds chased them away. Maybe it was a little of both....maybe....they didn't like my singing...NO?!









My happiness came and went...I wonder where? I wonder if they are still in my woods. So very pretty, aren't they?

Posted by Picasa